Firefighters were called to tackle a huge blaze at an iconic former pub and hotel in Scunthorpe on Friday evening.
Multiple crews from the Humberside Fire and Rescue Service were called to the former Crosby Hotel and Pub on Normanby Road shortly after 8pm, with thick plumes of black smoke seen emerging from the 114-year-old building.
Nearby residents were advised by police to keep their windows closed.
In a statement posted to social media, Humberside Police wrote: “Can all residents in the area of Normanby Road, Scunthorpe please keep windows closed were possible. Police and Fire are currently dealing with an ongoing incident. The fumes are not believed to be harmful this is just a precautionary measure. Thank you for your understanding.”
Known fondly by locals as ‘The Crosby’, the venue was once a pillar of the community and closed its doors for the final time in 2008. It has stood empty ever since.
Humberside Fire and Rescue has been contacted for comment.
Original artice: https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/all-about/scunthorpe