Mariners fail again to secure a 2024 victory as league leaders Stockport score three goals in 30 minutes

Grimsby Town’s wait for a victory in 2024 goes on after they fell to a 3-1 defeat at home to league leaders Stockport County.

All the visitors’ goals came in the opening 30 minutes of the encounter, and despite a resurgence of sorts in the second half kicked off by an Abo Eisa goal, the Mariners were unable to take anything from the game.

Town came out from kick-off with a good intensity and purpose about their play, but the visitors were gifted an early lead when Harvey Cartwright looked to play a simple straight pass to Curtis Thompson only to find Antoni Sarcevic instead.


The Stockport midfield slotted past the Hull City loanee who was stranded out of his goal after giving the ball away – a real dampener for Town after a bright start against the league leaders.

It only got worse for the Mariners minutes later, as they were caught out of shape by a quick free-kick played over the top from deep in the Stockport half, with Connor Lemonheigh-Evans squaring the ball to Isaac Olaofe to knock the ball in from close range.

Grimsby had the ball in the back of the net soon after Stockport’s second, with Denver Hume doing really well to get to the byline and cut the ball across to Gavan Holohan at the near post to finish, but the Irishman was marginally offside.

After the clean sheet away at Accrington Stanley last weekend, many would have hoped that Town were on their way to sorting things out defensively, but they were all at sea in the opening half-an-hour against Stockport.

They conceded a third in the 28th minute, the scorer of the first Sarcevic doing well to maintain the visitor’s attacking as he knocked the bouncing ball back into the area from the right. Lewis Cass was there unmarked to head into the bottom left corner, with Town unable to reset quickly enough to defend the cross.

With a three-goal cushion, the away side were able to play at their own pace from that point, as Grimsby were not proving a huge threat in an attacking sense for the most part. It was another poor half of football at Blundell Park for Town, who knew already by the interval that they would have to wait longer yet to earn their first win of the calendar year.

Artell made a triple change at the break in response to the poor first period, and Town did pull one back fewer than ten minutes into the second half as substitute Charles Vernam’s effort was palmed right into the path of Eisa who slotted into a half-empty net.

Vernam was a live wire off the bench for Grimsby, much like he was in the last home game against Tranmere, but despite grabbing a goal early in the half, the hosts were not able to sustain that pressure to completely undo the damage done in the first 45.

The end result made it four defeats from their last five at home for Artell’s side with 18 goals conceded in those five, which makes for tough reading despite the small improvements the team have shown on the road.

Original story at https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/

Scroll to Top