FIFA has announced the closure of criminal proceedings against its president Gianni Infantino over meetings he had with Switzerland’s former Attorney General.
Proceedings had been opened in July 2020 when complaints were made over meetings between Infantino, AG Michael Lauber and the chief public prosecutor of the Upper Valais, Rinaldo Arnold.
Stefan Keller was removed from the case in May 2021 following a successful complaint from FIFA over four press releases issued from his office which world football’s governing body said demonstrated “extreme bias”.
Two federal prosecutors, Hans Maurer and Ulrich Weder, took the case on, but FIFA said on Thursday that proceedings had now been closed with no charges brought.
“FIFA takes note, with extreme satisfaction, of the decision of the two Extraordinary Federal Prosecutors, Hans Maurer and Ulrich Weder, to dismiss and definitively close the proceedings against Gianni Infantino in relation to the so-called ‘Lauber case’,” a FIFA statement said.
Infantino himself added: “This is a full and clear victory for me, for the new FIFA and for justice!
“It is now clear that the accusations against me were mere attempts by poor, envious and corrupt people to attack my reputation. If these people have some dignity left, they should at least have the decency and apologise for their actions and the damage caused.
“The investigation fully and clearly confirms that I have always acted in a lawful and correct way, always defending exclusively the interests of FIFA and football.”
An investigation into alleged misuse of a private jet by Infantino in 2017 was closed earlier this year by the Office of the Attorney General (OAG).
Published: by Radio NewsHub